National Energy Board Onshore Pipeline Regulations
The National Energy Board Onshore Pipeline Regulations (OPR) are made under the National Energy Board Act. Companies are responsible for meeting the requirements of the OPR to manage safety, security and environmental protection throughout the entire lifecycle of their facilities, from design, through to construction, operation and abandonment.
New: Section 47.2 Damage Prevention Program and related amendments to section 55(1) (in force on 19 June 2016).
OPR Guidance Notes
The OPR Guidance Notes are provided to assist interested parties in understanding the requirements of the OPR.
- Guidance Notes for the National Energy Board Onshore Pipeline Regulations (updated June 2016)
- Emergency Procedures Manuals (2015-03-26)
- Frequently Asked Questions - Regulations
The NEB utilizes an audit protocol when conducting audits of a company’s obligations pursuant to the NEB Act and related regulations.
Accountable Officer Appointment and Notification
Pursuant to section 6.2 of the National Energy Board Onshore Pipeline Regulations (OPR), a company must appoint an accountable officer who has the authority over the company’s human and financial resources required to establish, implement and maintain its management system and protection programs, and to ensure that the company meets its obligations for safety, security and protection of the environment.
A company has 30 days to notify the NEB of the name of its accountable officer after the appointment is made. The accountable officer must also submit a signed statement accepting the responsibilities of the position. This requirement is in effect for all NEB-regulated companies. For information on how to select the accountable officer, and suggested template letters, please see Company Submission Requirements.
Forms and Templates
- OPR – Company Submission Requirements
Pressure Vessels and Equipment
- Guidance Notes for Pressure Equipment under National Energy Board Jurisdiction (2003-08-08)
- Guidance Notes for the Design, Construction, Operation, and Abandonment of Pressure Vessels (2003-07-03)
- Guidance Notes and Exemption Order - Decommissioning Provisions, Amendments to the Onshore Pipeline Regulations (OPR) and National Energy Board Processing Plant Regulations (PPR) (2014-12-05)
- Guidance Notes and Exemption Order - Decommissioning Provisions, Amendments to the Onshore Pipeline Regulations, 1999 (OPR) and National Energy Board Processing Plant Regulations (PPR) (2008-10-02)
- Date modified: