2017 NGTL System Expansion Project
On June 1, 2016, the National Energy Board (NEB) issued a report recommending that Governor in Council (GIC) approve the 2017 NOVA Gas Transmission Ltd (NGTL) System Expansion Project, subject to 48 conditions. Should GIC approve this project, it will order the NEB to issue a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity. You can read the full Recommendation Report here [Filing A77316].
For projects currently under NEB review, the Federal government is taking steps to ensure consistency with these principles. To learn more about how these interim measures are being implemented, please visit the Manager Project Management Office’s 2017 NOVA Gas Transmission Ltd. System Expansion Project page.
GIC is expected to release its decision by late 2016.
NOVA Gas Transmission Ltd. (NGTL) filed its regulatory application for the 2017 NGTL System Expansion Project (Project) on 31 March 2015. NGTL proposes to construct and operate new gas pipeline facilities in northern Alberta as part of its existing NGTL System. The expansion would include five new and separate pipeline section loops, totaling 230 kilometres, and the addition of two compression facilities. Approximately 90% of the project would parallel existing linear disturbances, such as pipelines and roads. The new facilities would consist of:
- Northwest Mainline Loop - Boundary Lake Section (approx. 91 km)
- Northwest Mainline Loop - Bear Canyon Section (approx. 27 km)
- Grande Prairie Mainline Loop No. 2 - McLeod River Section (approx. 36 km)
- Liege Lateral Loop No. 2 - Pelican Lake Section (approx. 56 km)
- Kettle River Lateral Loop - Christina River Section (approx. 20 km)
- Alces River Compressor Station Unit Addition
- Otter lake Compressor Station Unit Addition
Review of the project – Key Milestones
- June 1, 2016: Board releases Recommendation Report [Filing A77316]
- March 9 2016: NGTL files reply argument [Filing A75871]; Hearing record closes
- January 6, 2016: Board announces updated hearing timetable [Filing A74990]
- December 10, 2015: Board releases an errata to draft conditions [Filing A74623]
- November 30,2015: Board releases draft conditions for comment [Filing A74382]
- October 27 – November 5, 2015 – Board hears Oral Traditional Evidence
- September 9, 2015: Board releases draft conditions [Filing A72478]
- July 31 2015: Board issues Hearing Order GH-002-2015 [Filing A71593
- July 21 2015: Board issues List of Participants [Filing A71363]
- June 18 – July 9 2015: Application to Participate process
- March 31 2015: NGTL files its application [Filing A69317]
Are you new to the NEB’s process? For your introduction to the NEB, its mandate and our hearing process, we suggest:
Participant Funding Program
Refer to the Participant Funding Program page for information on deadlines, eligibility, how to apply for funding and how to submit claims. Funds awarded through our Participant Funding Program are announced in the Participant Funding Report.
List of Issues
The Board has identified, but is not obliged to limit itself to, the following issues for consideration in the hearing with respect to the construction and operation of the proposed 2017 NGTL System Expansion Project (Project):
- The need for the Project.
- The economic feasibility of the Project.
- The potential commercial impacts of the Project.
- The implications of the requested relief under Part IV of the National Energy Board Act, including the distribution of long-term potential tolling and financial risks associated with the Project.
- The potential environmental and socio-economic effects of the Project, including those to be considered under the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012.
- The appropriateness of the general route and land requirements for the Project.
- Potential impacts of the Project on Aboriginal interests.
- Potential impacts of the Project on landowners and land use.
- The engineering design and integrity of the Project.
- Contingency planning for spills, accidents or malfunctions, during construction and operation of the Project.
- Safety and security during construction and operation of the Project, including emergency response planning and third-party damage prevention.
- The terms and conditions to be included in any recommendation or approval the Board may issue for the Project.
National Energy Board recommends approval for NOVA Gas Transmission Ltd.’s 2017 NGTL System Expansion Project
Funding Available to Participate in the NEB’s Regulatory Process for the NGTL 2017 System Expansion Project
2017 NGTL System Expansion Project Application [Folder 2758964]
2017 NGTL System Expansion - Project Description [Folder 2583630]
For questions about the NEB’s hearing process, please contact:
National Energy Board
Telephone (toll free): 1-800-899-1265
Facsimile (toll free): 1-877-288-8803
TTY (Teletype): 1-800-632-1663
For media inquiries, please contact:
Telephone (toll free): 1-800-899-1265
If you have questions about the Project, including whether the proposed facilities could cross your property, please contact NGTL or TransCanada PipeLines Ltd at 1-855-458-6713 or ngtl_2017@TransCanada.com, or visit their website:
- Date modified: