On November 5, 2014, Enbridge Pipelines Inc. submitted an application [Folder 2546069] for the Line 3 Replacement Program. The proposed project would include:
- replacing the existing Line 3 pipeline, 863.6 mm (outside diameter) crude oil pipeline with a new, 914.4 mm (uutside diameter) crude oil pipeline;
- the addition of 55 new remotely operated sectionalizing valves;
- the installation of 18 new pump stations and associated infrastructure and equipment;
- the addition of three new storage tanks at the Hardisty Terminal;
- associated interconnection work at facilities; and
- the decommissioning of the existing Line 3 pipeline.
Some temporary infrastructure, such as work camps, stockpile sites and contractor staging areas may also be required during construction.
The majority of the Line 3 replacement pipeline would be situated adjacent to Enbridge’s Mainline System corridor. The Project footprint for the Line 3 Replacement Pipeline will typically be 45 metres in width, including 12 metres of permanent easement, with an additional 33 metres of temporary workspace.
The targeted in-service date is early 2019. Decommissioning activities are proposed to begin once the Line 3 replacement pipeline is in service, and would take 12 to 18 months to complete.
During the National Energy Board's review of this project, all evidence, letters of comment, Board decisions and other relevant documents must be filed with the National Energy Board and placed on the Board's online document repository. These documents are all accessible to the public and can be found here: [Folder 2545522].
- Application for the Line 3 Replacement Program: [Folder 2546069]
- Transcripts for oral hearings: [Folder 2858485]
- Archived audio recording of oral hearing on our website
- Hearing Order OH-002-2015 [Filing A69826]
NEB Recommendation Report
On April 25, 2016, the National Energy Board issued a report recommending that Governor in Council (GIC) approve the Line 3 Replacement Program, subject to 89 conditions. You can read the full Recommendation Report here [Filing A76575]. Please visit the Line 3 Replacement Program Conditions web page for more information on the 89 conditions imposed on the project.
- Line 3 Replacement – Decisions and Recommendations
- Backgrounder: By the Numbers
- Participant Funding Report
Government of Canada Reports Related to the Project
In addition to the NEB’s regulatory review, the Government of Canada conducted reviews into the Line 3 Replacement Program:
- Environment and Climate Change Canada – Review of Related Upstream Greenhouse Gas Emissions Estimates
- Natural Resources Canada – Online Questionnaire Report
- Major Projects Management Office – Crown Consultation and Accommodation Report
If you have questions about the project, including whether or not the pipeline crosses your property, please contact Enbridge Pipelines at 1-888-967-3899 or via email at email@example.com.
For questions about the NEB’s role as the regulator of the Line 3 Replacement Program, please contact:
Operations Project Manager
Telephone (toll free): 1-800-899-1265
For media inquiries, please contact:
Telephone (toll-free): 1-800-899-1265
- Date modified: