Order GC-001-2016 to TransCanada PipeLines Limited pursuant to Section 51.1 of the National Energy Board Act
INSPECTION OFFICER ORDER NO. GC-001-2016
IN THE MATTER OF THE NATIONAL ENERGY BOARD ACT,
AN ORDER UNDER SECTION 51.1
is employed by TransCanada PipeLines Limited (TCPL), and/or is a person conducting an excavation or construction on or near a facility located at all stations operated by TCPL.
On 18 and 19 July 2016, the undersigned National Energy Board Inspection Officer conducted an inspection of Kingston Meter Station.
The Inspection Officer has reasonable grounds to believe:
– The 2 mm minimum remaining wall thickness (MRWT) value for blasting the pipe referenced in TCPL’s Operating Procedure Pipeline Defect Assessment and Repair Procedures (ID # 003674615) poses a safety risk to all excavation personnel.
– TCPL’s response to NEB Inspectors’ Information Request (IR) question 2 to provide the rationale for relying on the value of 2 mm is unacceptable and is not in compliance with CSA Z662-15, clause 10.2.8.
– TCPL’s response to NEB Inspectors’ IR question 3 to include in every Technical Memorandum for Safe Dig Pressure Determination (Technical Memo) a minimum allowable wall thickness (MAWT) calculation is unacceptable and is not in compliance with CSA Z662-15, clause 10.2.8.
Based on the above mentioned, the inspection officer has reasonable grounds to believe that a hazard to the safety or security of the public, or employees of a company or a detriment to property or the environment is being or will be caused by the construction, operation, maintenance or abandonment of the pipeline, or excavation activity or construction of a facility as per 49(2)(a).
Therefore, is HEREBY ORDERED,
pursuant to sections 51.1 and 51.1(2) of the National Energy Board Act, to
– TCPL shall not excavate any station piping until:
- TCPL provides documented evidence to the NEB Inspectors for review and approval that it has modified its Operating Procedure Pipeline Defect Assessment and Repair Procedures (ID # 003674615) to remove all references to the universal 2 mm MRWT value for blasting the pipe; and
- TCPL provides documented evidence to the NEB Inspectors for review and approval that it has included a MAWT calculation for each type of piping expected to be encountered considering all types of pipe grade, outside diameter (OD) and operating stress level in every Technical Memo.
|IO Designation #|
|1 September 2016|
|517 10th Avenue SW Calgary AB T2R 0A8|
- Date modified: