Order JFB-001-2018 to Westcoast Energy Inc., carrying on business as Spectra Energy Transmission pursuant to section 51.1 the National Energy Board Act
INSPECTION OFFICER ORDER NO. JFB-001-2018
IN THE MATTER OF THE NATIONAL ENERGY BOARD ACT,
AN ORDER UNDER SECTION 51.1
is employed by Westcoast Energy Inc., carrying on business as Spectra Energy Transmission, and/or is a person conducting a ground disturbance or construction on or near a facility located in Chetwynd, British Columbia.
On or about 26 July 2018, the undersigned National Energy Board Inspection Officer conducted an inspection of the High Pine Expansion Project, South Loop, Watercourse Crossings (WCS) 22 (KP 23.5) and 23 (KP 24.1), both tributaries to Shangweshi Creek.
The Inspection Officer has determined that a hazard is being or will be caused based on the following facts: WCS 23 observations (14:22):
- A retaining wall on the east edge of the right-of-way (RoW) has failed, and sediment has migrated off-RoW a distance of approximately 30 m into the tributary.
- On the north side of the watercourse crossing, sediment fencing was not installed according to specification or maintained, and sediment has migrated through a large gap in the fence into the tributary.
- Deficiencies in watercourse reclamation design were identified, including timber sills improperly tied into the bank and unstable coir wraps. WCS 22 observations (15:55):
- A diversion channel crossed the RoW through three rock check dams on the south slope above WCS 22, and drained off of the west side of the RoW. Sediment has migrated along the channel off-RoW approximately 40 m into the tributary.
- Sediment has migrated around a sediment fence on the south side of the WCS 22 crossing into the tributary.
Based on the above mentioned, the inspection officer has reasonable grounds to believe that a hazard to the safety or security of the public or of employees of a company or a detriment to property or the environment is being or will be caused by the construction, operation, maintenance or abandonment of the pipeline, or any part of a pipeline, an abandoned pipeline or any part of it, or a ground disturbance or the construction of a facility.
Therefore, is HEREBY ORDERED, pursuant to subsections 51.1(1) and 51.1(2) of the National Energy Board Act, to
Specified Measures: Clean-up and stabilize the areas of sediment migration observed at WCS 22 and WCS 23 and correct deficiencies noted in the erosion and sediment control measures. Provide the Inspection Officer with photographs demonstrating completion of erosion and sediment control measures as well as a plan to clean-up and stabilize the areas with an estimated timeline for completion by Friday 3 August 2018.
|26 July 2018|
|Suite 210, 517 10th Avenue SW Calgary AB T2R 0A8|
- Date modified: