How Do I Apply?
Discover what we have to offer and how you can apply to potentially gain an exciting new career in the federal public service. Below are some pointers to help you in the application process.
Here are a list of staffing terms you should know to help you in the application process.
Your Official Language Rights
- Applications can be submitted in either official language. As well, you are entitled to have any assessment or interview conducted in the official language of your choice. Please note, if you choose to be assessed in French for an English essential position, you will be asked to be tested on your English Language skills.
Cover Letter and Resume
- Your resume and cover letter should address ALL the essential qualifications of language, education and experience.
- You are strongly encouraged to demonstrate how you also meet the asset qualifications.
- For clarity in your cover letter, use each qualification as a header and then write one to two paragraphs demonstrating how you meet these requirements.
- Consider including courses taken, association memberships, awards, special skills, publications, a "career goals" statement, etc. (depending on the position).
- Sample Cover Letter and Sample Resumé
The Screening Process
The initial screening process will review all the documents you provided to ensure that you meet the all essential qualifications of language, education and experience.
Common documents that may be used to screen are, but not limited to:
- Cover letter
- Written text
Below are commonly used assessment tools at the NEB. Depending on the position, this can also include, but is not limited to, other methods such as: standardized tests, oral presentation, role play scenarios, and performance appraisals.
- You may be asked to complete a written exam that is sent to you electronically, which must be completed and returned within a specified time frame (e.g. two hours).
- You may be asked to complete a written exam in house either before and/or after an interview, which must be completed within a specified time frame (e.g. two hours).
- You will be assessed on the qualification criteria as stated on the Statement Of Merit Criteria (SOMC) by a panel of at least two members or more.
- Please ensure you bring your proof of education (degree, transcripts, etc.), proof of citizenship (birth certificate, passport) and your driver's licence (proof of residence) to the interview.
- You are encouraged to bring your references (suggested is three) as well.
- If you were not contacted for further assessment after your application, the NEB is not obligated to notify you of your status.
- Date modified: