Valves serve a variety of functions on the pipeline systems regulated by the NEB.
They allow for maintenance, and when properly placed, valves contribute to safe pipeline operation.
When determining where they should go, companies weigh positives Vs. negatives:
- Depending on location, valves can reduce the size of a spill, if there is a problem.
- But, they also make the system more complex to operate.
- And can actually be a weak point in the pipeline, if they are damaged or vandalized.
In the end, they’re placed where it makes sense, when terrain is considered.
- Valves could limit the amount of spill into a river, if a leak occurs nearby.
- But gravity may be enough to provide protection in other cases like this.
- Here, only one valve would be needed.
Valves are essential for the safe operation and maintenance of pipelines…In some situations, they can also help to limit the consequences of a pipe leak.
Want to learn more about valve placement and the roles of the NEB?
You can find more information on our web page.
- Date modified: