Meeting Summary - 15 July 2011
Arctic Offshore Drilling Review
Information Meeting Summary
15 July 2011
3:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Sachs Harbour, NT
Purpose: Phase 2 Information Meeting
|Bharat Dixit||Technical Leader, Exploration and Production, NEB|
|Pamela Romanchuk||Environmental Specialist, NEB|
|Susan Gudgeon||Northern Coordinator, NEB|
National Energy Board staff gave a presentation providing an overview of:
- the Board's role in the North
- the scope of the Arctic Offshore Drilling Review
- what has occurred to date including stakeholder meetings and information filed
- where the Review is now at
- what is coming up
Questions and Comments:
The following questions and comments were posed:
- A letter should be send to each Community Corporation office advising of the deadlines.
- It is so expensive to fly from the communities, people wait and go out on medical. Should look into a charter to pick up people from the communities. People can't afford to pay up front to go to Inuvik for the Roundtable. It is $1500 per person.
- Make sure people have enough time to speak. At other meetings [Internatioanl Polar Year] scientists did all the talking and there was no time left for people to speak. Came home without having a chance to say anything.
- Is there compensation out there for the Inuvialuit people if there is a spill in our waters?
- As Inuvialuit we live from the ocean. What would we eat if there was a spill? We would get sick if we didn't have our own food.
- One time an elder pulled out a $10 bill out of his pocket and said "eat this". We can't eat money.
- NEB staff are available to assist in completing registration forms for the Roundtable as well as funding applications.
- Copies of DVDs containing the information on the NEB Arctic Offshore Drilling Review website are available.
- Date modified: