NOVA Gas Transmission Ltd. – 2021 NGTL System Expansion Project
NOVA Gas Transmission Limited (NGTL), a wholly owned subsidiary of Trans Canada, has filed an application for the 2021 NGTL System Expansion Project. A project description is not an application; it provides preliminary information about an application the company expects to file at a later date. NGTL proposes to build and operate approximately 350 km of 1,219 mm (NPS 48) outside diameter natural gas pipeline and associated facilities in northwestern Alberta. If approved, the project would “loop” or add new pipeline parallel or adjacent to, the existing NGTL System.
The Project includes three main areas:
Grande Prairie West Area:
- Grande Prairie Mainline Loop No. 4 (Valhalla Section), approximately 38 km; and,
- Grande Prairie Mainline Loop No. 3 (Elmworth Section), approximately 47 km.
Grande Prairie South Area:
- Grande Prairie Mainline Loop No. 2 (Karr Section), approximately 57 km;
- Grande Prairie Mainline Loop No. 2 (Deep Valley Section), approximately 68 km; and,
- Grande Prairie Mainline Loop No. 2 (McLeod River Connection Section), approximately 15 km.
Edson South Area:
- Edson Mainline Loop No. 4 (Rob Section), approximately 42 km;
- Edson Mainline Loop No. 4 (Dismal Creek Section), approximate4ly 33 km;
- Edson Mainline Loop 4 (Brewer Section), approximately 50 km;
- Three compressor station unit additions at Nordegg, AB, Didsbury, AB and Beiseker, AB; and,
- January Creek Control Valve and associated pipeline tie-ins.
In its application, NGTL said the project was needed to transport natural gas from areas of increasing production in northwestern Alberta and northeastern BC to intra-Alberta and export markets. If approved, NGTL plans to begin operating the project by April 2021.
This map provides an overview of the project.
July 16 – August 17, 2018: Apply to Participate
- June 21, 2018: NGTL filed their project application [Filing A92619]
- February 27, 2018: NGTL submits its project description [Filing A90239]
Preliminary List of Issues
The Board has identified the following issues for consideration in the hearing with respect to the construction and operation of the proposed 2021 System Expansion Project:
- The need for the Project.
- The economic feasibility of the Project.
- The potential commercial impacts of the Project.
- The appropriateness of the toll and tariff methodology of the Project.
- The potential environmental and socio-economic effects of the Project, including any cumulative environmental effects that are likely to result from the Project as set out in the NEB’s Filing Manual, as well as those to be considered under the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012 (see Appendix D).
- The appropriateness of the general route and land requirements for the Project.
- Potential impacts of the Project on IndigenousFootnote 1 interests.
- Potential impacts of the Project on owners and users of lands
- The suitability of the design of the Project.
- Contingency planning for leaks, accidents or malfunctions, during construction and operation of the Project.
- Safety and security during construction and operation of the Project, including emergency response planning and third-party damage prevention.
- The terms and conditions to be included in any recommendation or approval the Board may issue for the Project.
If you would like to learn more about the NEB’s hearing process, please visit the following links:
- NEB Snapshot: Types of public hearings at the NEB
- NEB Snapshot: Deciding on the format for a public hearing
- Hearing Participants Toolbox
- Video: Hearing Process
Apply to Participate
To be a participant in a NEB hearing process, you must be directly affected or have relevant information or expertise. You can apply to participate as an intervenor or by letter of comment.
Email is not a valid method of filing regulatory documents with the NEB. Comments received by email will not be considered. You must apply to participate.
When to apply
The application to participate form is available from July 16 – August 17, 2018.
How to apply?
To participate in this hearing, complete the online application to participate form. It provides step-by-step instructions and prompts that are easy to follow.
To file an application form, you must create an NEB account with a user name and password. Please keep a record of the user name and password you create as you need these to access your account in future.
To continue to the secure login and to complete your application form online click:
Participant funding is available to facilitate the participation in this public hearing. Refer to the Participant Funding Program page for information on deadlines, eligibility, how to apply for funding, and how to submit claims.
For process-related inquiries, please contact:
Process Advisor Team
National Energy Board
Telephone (toll free): 1-800-899-1265
Facsimile (toll free): 1-877-288-8803
TTY (Teletype): 1-800-632-1663
For media inquiries, please contact:
Media Relations team
National Energy Board
- Date modified: